- 项目全称：Garcia Center for Polymers at Engineered Interfaces -- Research Experience for High School Students
- 主办学校：Stony Brook University, The State University of New York 纽约州立石溪大学
This is an intensive seven week program for gifted high school students which combines formal instruction with independent research and allows students to design original research projects with guidance from Garcia Center faculty, students, and staff. Students can continue during the academic year in the Mentor Program, which allows them to plan a research schedule with a faculty mentor throughout the year. Pre-arranged transportation and class schedules are coordinated with local school boards to enable students from a large geographical area to enroll in the program. Almost three hundred high school students have participated in this program since its inception.
The students have consistently won recognition for their research through national competitions ( LISEF, NYCSEF, NYSSEF, ISEF), published in refereed journals, been awarded patents, inducted into the National Young Inventor's Hall of Fame, and been accepted to universities or professional programs of their choice.
Deadline for Application: February 24th 2020. Supporting materials (i.e. letters of recommendation and transcripts) must also be post-marked by Feb. 24th at the latest.
Requirements for Summer 2020 applicants:
- All students must be, at least 16 years old on, or before July 4, 2020, no exceptions.
- Have an unweighted GPA of 95/100 (3.8/4.0)
- Must have, at least 3 of the following subjects:
- English (Honors or AP a plus)
- Chemistry (Honors or AP a plus)
- Mathematics or Calculus (Honors or AP a plus)
- Physics (Honors or AP a plus)
- Biology (optional) (Honors or AP a plus)
- Standardized test scores (SAT or Regents) must be 60% or above.
- Students who show evidence of leadership, special talents or interests, and other personal qualities through extracurricular activities, volunteer work, and other non-academic pursuits will receive special consideration.
Along with the application form you MUST send (or have submitted):
- Transcript of grades (typically sent by your school)
- Three letters of recommendation, with one being from your Science Coordinator/Teacher. Please use the Teacher Recommendation Letter Coversheet. Recommendation letter and coversheet must be included with the application in sealed envelopes.
- Non-Refundable $50 Registration fee. Please make check payable to "Stony Brook University"
- Laboratory usage fee: $2700. Includes PPE (P ersonal Protective Equipment) kit
- Housing and meal plan programs are available at applicant's expense.
Essays (no word or character limit):
- Please explain your reasons for wanting to participate in the Garcia Center Summer Scholar Program.
- List all previous research experience, including research-oriented courses you may have or are currently taking.
- If you had the opportunity to do research in any area of engineering, what would you do?
Resume: Applicants may include a short resume (2 pages maximum, typed) highlighting academic achievements, school activity involvement, community service, and/or awards received.
Please do not include copies of award certificates, award letters, scientific/mathematical publications, or photographs of plaques/trophies with your application.
- 电话 Tel: +1 631-632-6097
- 电邮 E-mail: GarciaResearch@stonybrook.edu